Environmental Compliance

ecomaine serves the solid waste needs of a third of the population of Maine by operating a waste-to-energy power plant, single-sort recycling center and a 270-acre landfill/ashfill.

The ecomaine Waste-to-Energy Facility is licensed by the Maine Department of Environmental Protection (MDEP) and the EPA to process 550 tons-per-day of municipal solid waste (MSW).  Annually, ecomaine handles 175,000 tons of MSW which is converted to approximately 100,000 megawatts of electricity – enough to power 15,000 homes.

The Recycling Plant is Maine’s first single-sort system and it processes 40,000 tons of recycled material per year. Due to the benefit of the Waste-to-Energy Plant and Ashfill, ecomaine can continue to address the waste disposal needs of residents beyond the year of 2040 due to the reduction in volume of trash to ash. Waste-to-energy reduces the volume of solid waste by 90 percent, which means the remaining 10 percent ash is sent to the ashfill.  ecomaine’s WTE facility not only recovers electricity and metals but also will not fill valuable landfill space as fast as a landfill that stores raw trash (see photo below for a visual.)