This year, that special day is Saturday, Sept. 27.
From 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, Sept. 27, you can come to our Open House and get a behind-the-scenes look at what happens to your trash and your recycling after the trucks pick it up on Trash Day. If you haven’t seen it, it’s pretty cool; that’s why thousands of people tour our facilities each year.
But that’s not all!
At the ecomaine Open House, you can score tons of cool, free stuff, too!
Like what, you ask?
Well, let us lay it out for you:
- Free recycling bins!
- Free breakfast sandwiches, hand-crafted to order by friendly ecomaine staffers!
- Free ecomaine swag, like these cool, retro shades modeled by our Environmental Educator Leo Maheu (above), made from 100-percent post-consumer recycled material!
- Free composting demonstrations from the folks at the Maine Department of Environmental Protection and WormMainea!
- Free reusable shopping bags and other swag from the groovy scenesters at Yelp!
A the ecomaine Open House on Saturday, Sept. 27, from 8:30 a.m to 11:30 a.m., you’ll also find:
- Free recycling for your gently used clothes, toys, housewares, and other items, courtesy of our friends at Goodwill!
- Free drop-off of items that could be used in class by Greater Portland teachers, courtesy of Ruth’s Reusable Resources!
- Free disposal of your e-waste items, such as computers, TVs, dvd players, cellphones, etc., thanks to our friends at North Coast Services!
- Free info on the amazing 70-mile network of hiking trails in Portland, courtesy of Portland Trails!
- Fun stuff for the kids, like papermaking demonstrations, facepainting, and the chance to get behind the wheel of a big, ol’ garbage truck, courtesy of the City of Portland!
So, don’t be like the sad pug at the top of this post, haunted by the terrible specter of missed opportunity. Come to our annual Open House on Saturday, Sept. 27, from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
You’ll be glad you did.