Every winter, ecomaine, Maine’s leader in single-sort recycling, looks for local artists of all ages to turn its recycling drop-off containers into vibrant works of colorful art as spring comes along in its annual ecomaine Recycling is a Work of Art Contest.
Winning contestants receive a $500 stipend as part of the prize for the chosen winners, in addition to reimbursement for up to $500 worth of art supplies. Read the full contest rules here.
How the contest works:
- You (or your group) envision a design for one of ecomaine‘s 22-foot gray steel roll-off recycling bins (see the examples on this page).
- You create a mock-up of the design using these two design templates:
- You email (info [at] ecomaine [dot] org) or snail mail/drop off (64 Blueberry Road, Portland, ME 04102) your application by the deadline each year (typically March)
- ecomaine’s Outreach & Recycling Committee will select contest winners; all painting projects should be completed within six weeks (or in a timeframe arranged with ecomaine staff) of receiving the container at the designated painting location.
- Painting locations will be decided on in coordination with the artist(s) and ecomaine staff; public property in ecomaine communities (used with permission) is recommended, but ecomaine can have containers delivered to a mutually-agreed-upon location, as well.
The Recycling is a Work of Art contest is open to anyone who is a resident of one of ecomaine’s member communities.