Want to win $500 for your school’s Green Team, STEM Club, or Project Graduation? Submit your design using upcycled materials and let us know how it works!
In the past, we’ve seen a working chandelier made from old plastic bottles, a bike rack made from, well…bikes, clothing made out of plastic, hair scrunchies made from old clothing, furniture from old tires, and movie projectors made from all kinds of would-be-junk materials!
Find items that would normally be thrown away and create an all-new, super-useful invention from them!
Students will have until March 18, 2022 to submit their upcycled inventions via the form below.
Finalists will be chosen by ecomaine’s Outreach & Recycling Committee based on the following criteria:
- Incorporation of post-consumer materials (must be a majority of materials used)
- Ingenuity and functionality of a new “upcycled” invention (must be an entirely new item – though we encourage repair and reuse, this is the Upcycle Challenge!)
- Inclusion of students in the design and construction process
- School (teacher, coach, administrative) leadership and approval
- Submissions must be from a K-12 school in one of ecomaine’s member communities to be considered.
Finalists will then be selected by popular vote online by Earth Day 2022.